Modified atmosphere packaging
Modified Atmosphere Packaging is also known as gas filling, gas flushing, protective atmosphere packaging or reduced oxygen packaging. The atmosphere filled in the package atmosphere has been modified in some way, usually with one or a combination of three gases: nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and oxygen.
Modified Atmosphere enables fresh and minimally processed packaged food products to maintain visual, textural and nutritional appeal so it is a highly effective method to help retailers deliver added value to their food customers:
- Extension of shelf-life
- Minimization of waste
- Improved quality and appearance
- Reduced need for artificial preservatives
- Increased distribution possibilities
How does Modified Atmosphere Packaging work?
The Modified Atmosphere Package environment is formed from a finely balanced mixed normal atmospheric gases. The finely balanced MAP gas mix slows down the product aging process to reduce colour loss, odour and off-taste resulting from product deterioration, spoilage and rancidity caused by mold and other anaerobic organisms.
A carefully controlled Modified Atmosphere Package achieves and maintains an optimal respiration rate to preserve the fresh colour, taste and nutrient content of red meat, seafood, minimally processed fruits and vegetables, pasta, prepared foods, cheese, baked goods, cured meats and dried foods throughout an extended shelf life.
Modified Atmosphere Packaging offers supply chain efficiencies
Longer shelf life MAP packages allow food processors, food manufacturers, food distributors and food retailers to better control product quality, availability and costs.
Longer freshness cycles permit grocers to eliminate frequent product rotation, removal and restocking; thereby reducing labour and waste disposal costs.
Distributors can extend distribution territories or offer a greater variety of product lines to the retailer, since less frequent product replacement requirements permits growth in other areas.
Food manufacturers are able to take advantage of extended replacement cycles to reduce production replacement demands. Manufacturing capacity can be more profitably utilised by developing and offering new products.
What equipment do you need to launch a MAP modified atmosphere packaging projet for your food products?
- MAP modified atmsphere packaging machine
- Gas mixer for filling of mixed air. If you need to fill in trays with mixed air of oxygen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen, a gas mixer is necessary. Some of the gas mixer brands: WITTGAS, HODA, AMETEK MACON.
- Gas analyzer : To analyze if the filled in air ratio is correct. This is very important for the quality of MAP packaging.
- The right plastic trays and sealing film
- Compress air
- Air source of oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen
- Printer, labelling machine, metal detal detector
- Any other necessary equipment according to your requirement
Modified atmosphere packaging machine
KANGBEITE PACKAGING MAP modified atmosphere packaging machine series cover semi-auto tray sealing MAP to fully auto thermoforming MAP machines. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any unique needs.